Museums  
 

Diocesan Museum

Rossano (Cs)

This museum is the first of its kind to be established in Calabria and was opened to the public for the first time in 1952 at the request of Archbishop Giovanni Rizzo. In 1977, new discoveries were made on the ancient premises of the sacresty in the Cathedral, and a new system of classification, the "Codex Purpureus" is presently being projected which will be better-adapted to the classification and preservation of the numerous historic and artistic relics (sacred and liturgical), parchments and documents, and war relic. The Codex is projected not only for Rossano but all of Calabria, which attracts students and researchers from around the world.

 

Pathirion

Rossano (Cs)

The Monastery of Saint Mary of the New Odigitria del Patir, named after the icon brought from Constantinople to the site by its founder, Saint Bartholomew of Simeri. The constuction of the abbey developed during the 12th century A.D. and quickly became the most important of the Norman monastic bases. Today one can enjoy viewing the church which is perfectly preserved. What remains of the monastery is only a line of archways and the remains of a belltower.

 

 

La Panaghia

Rossano (Cs)

The tiny church of Panaghia (the Greek name of the Byzantine cult of the Most Saintly Niadonna is one of the precious remains at Rossano and can be found in the street called Giovanni di Dio, found in the very center of the town. It is surrounded by numerous buildings which accentuate its lovely, harmonious architectural lines. Based on architectural and decorative discoveries finds, the church is believed to date back to the 11th century A.D. along with S.Marco, with its Eastern Byzantine orientation. Its ceiling is covered with beams, while the body of the church, with a single nave is illuminated by six lateral monofores adorned with central arches of brick.